CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Excited for Potential Inspiration

I had a half hour to kill before I met my husband for lunch this afternoon. So I stopped into the Target just around the corner from where he worked and started browsing. I couldn't decide what I really wanted to look at because I really didn't need anything. I was almost set on getting a pair of sunglasses, but talked myself out of it about five minutes before I was supposed to meet my husband.

So, I put the glasses back, and start for the front of the store. Just before I get to the doors I see the music section and I just decide to mosey on over and check it out for a minute or two. Out of place and staring me in the face was the soundtrack for August Rush. Now, I'm not generally a big fan of soundtracks. I may have purchased one soundtrack in all my life, but there is something so unusual and beautiful about the August Rush music, I've been looking for a copy for weeks.

Surely Dickens himself would have been proud of the modern day Oliver Twist movie, even if most critics shunned it. If for no other reason, I recommend seeing the movie to hear the music. It is a beautiful fusion of classical composition and Irish rock. I think the movie would have been a complete flop had it not been for the power behind the music and the lyrics to the songs.

Each time I listen to Elgar/Something Inside or This Time, I can feel emotion welling in my chest and I wish I could emote the kind of longing and love in my words that these lyrics so effortlessly do. And when I hear Dueling Guitars, I wish I could play an instrument.

Anyways, it was like Fate had led me to the music section of Target (though I wish Fate would lead me to an agent and publisher, but that's another post)and practically smacked me with the August Rush CD. Of course I had to buy it. So now I've loaded it up on my laptop and music box (mp3 player)and feel like I can actually get some writing done, using the soundtrack as my inspiration.

That, and the fact that the house is/will be completely quiet when Joe heads back to work in a half hour.

If you're curious what the August Rush soundtrack sounds like, scroll down to the bottom of my blog to the music player. Scroll through the music player to the first track and have a listen.

5 comments:

Unknown

I'm actually a HUGE fan of soundtracks, which I think stems from my middle school/high school band experience. My iPod consists of soundtracks and classic rock, which is sort of polarizing.

Speaking of Elgar, have you heard Jacqueline du Pre play Elgar's cello concerto? OH MY GOODNESS. I cry sometimes. Partially because she had such a romantic/depressing life, but mainly because when she plays, she plays with her whole soul. I have absolutely no idea how to play the cello, but she's the artist I can connect with the most--out of sheer humanity.

Here's a video of her playing the first movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C99JyP2ns

And I will definitely have to check out the August Rush ST! I meant to see the movie, but never got around to it.

Jayne

Hello Tracy! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. It sounds like you were meant to buy the August Rush soundtrack - I hope it inspires you as you write! I also like Elgar and classical music in general - it really soars the soul, doesn't it?

Misha Gerrick

I tend to love soundtracks. I'm currently looking for the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack. I loved the music in that movie.

:-)

Marie Rose Dufour

August Rush is a great movie. I am glad that the music is acting like a writing muse for you. It is funny how fate can put inspiration in front of us all of the time. Happy writing.

Ava Z.

Shayda, I just watched the video and it's the first time I've ever heard of Jacqueline du Pre. She has this passionate sadness to her movements that really captures me. Thank you for introducing me to her sound!

Jayne, I love reading other blogs and seeing what other writers are going through, feeling, doing, etc.. It makes writing feel less solo than it is.

Misha, I saw the movie Sherlock Holmes, but the music in it escapes me. I will have to look into it.

Marie, yes, it is funny how fate works. Sometimes it is working all along and we ignore it. I did not get much writing done yesterday because the real world would not quit calling (literally, the phone rang from 5pm to 7:45pm almost nonstop) but I did brainstorm. Now the house is quiet until 2pm so, Chapter Eleven, here I come!

Post a Comment