CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Character Interview

First and foremost, I need to direct you all to this blog HERE. Reading her last couple posts have inspired me to share with you the "interview" process I go through with my MCs. It sounds easy, right? Well, I'll warn you now, it's a long list of questions that I try not to rush through and I try to give thorough answers to. I sometimes complete the interview in a day, sometimes it takes a week. It just depends on how easily the character's voice comes to me.

Also, a few of the questions may repeat, but that's because I tend to add and edit as I fill them out. So, this is an interview I conducted for December Sloane, the heroine of Living Behind Glass Shadows.

1. Start out with a couple pictures of what you imagine the character to look like. December is supposed to be half Puerto Rican, so I was looking for a character who has Latina characteristics. I chose Sofia Vergara as a visual muse for this character.

2. At this point I have a general idea for the story so I tend to know the major plot points I'll be working with, which I think can either help you or harbor you when answering the following questions from the character's POV. I try to answer the questions as if the story has yet to happen. It covers a bit of everything from past to present to what the character is looking for in his/her future.

3. Feel free to copy the questions if you'd like to ask of your own characters. I keep a blank file of the questions and copy and paste them into a new document for my new characters.

4. Not everything in the interview will or needs to make it into the story, but I find that I can come up with ideas about my character's emotional state throughout the story by reading through the answers to these questions. Also, I realize I refer to her brother as both Avery and Tucker. His name changed by the time I got around to writing him.





What is your character’s full name? December Liliana Sloane
The reason behind the name? December was the only word of English my grandmother, Liliana could speak. She loved Christmas.
Nickname? Some of my friends just call me Sloane
Birth date? June 5th, 1983
Astrological sign. Any significance? Gemini. Don’t think it has any significance. Don’t believe in that stuff.
Glasses or contacts? Neither, but I’d prefer contacts if I had to.
Typical hairstyle? Long and wavy, but usually always pulled back in a ponytail.
Typically healthy? Yes.
What kind of distinguishing facial features does your character have? Big brown eyes.
Birthmark? Where is it? Small, cherry shaped brown spot on the back of my left thigh.
Scars? How did they get them? Some small scars on my hands from kitchen accidents.
Who are the friends and family? Who does he/she surround herself with? Who are they closest to? Who does she wish she was closest to? My mother is Maria Sloane. I have a sister, Harper, and a brother, Tucker. I’m the oldest. I’m closest to my mother, and although Harper and I have a bit of a rocky relationship, she and I are very close. They’re really the only family I know. I wish I could be closer to my father’s family, but they live out of state.
Where was she born? Pittsburgh
Where does she live? Pittsburgh
Where has she lived her whole life? I grew up in Pittsburgh, but moved to New York for college and culinary school. Moved back home to Pittsburgh afterward.
Where does your character go when she’s angry? The kitchen. I find myself there whenever my emotional roller coaster hits a peak in any of the emotions.
What’s her biggest fear? Who has she told this to? Who would she never tell and why? My biggest fear would probably be getting married and having a family. I’ve talked to my boyfriend, Josh, about this. I’d never tell my mother. I wouldn’t want her to feel like it was her fault.
Does she have a secret? Hmmm….I don’t think so.
What makes your character laugh out loud? I have a very dry, witty kind of humor. I like jokes and situations where you actually have to think about the words said, and process them to get it. I don’t really get into the crude humor and I stay away from anything overtly offensive.
When has your character ever been in love? Ever had a broken heart? I loved Alex Brooks. He was my first true love. And leaving him broke my heart. Now I think I’m in love with Josh.
What’s in the fridge right now? On her bedroom floor? On her nightstand? In her trash? I have a lot of things in the fridge. I’m a chef. Lots of fresh vegetables, herbs, fruits, juice, wine, milk, water, yogurts, and meats.
Look at her feet. What do you see there? Does she wear dress shoes or gym shoes? Is she in socks that are all ratty and holey? Or a pair of slippers knitted by her grandmother? My toes are painted right now, chocolate wine I think. I usually wear a comfortable pair of sneakers or dress shoes since I’m on my feet all day, but if I go out I like to dress up and I love shoes. I have a ton of high heels in my closet I rarely get to wear.
When she thinks of her childhood kitchen, what smells come to mind? Why? Lots of spices and the smell of tortillas on a cast iron warmer. Mom is Puerto Rican so our food always had vibrant colors, loud spices, and tortillas.
She’s spring cleaning. What is easy for her to get rid of? What is difficult? I don’t really have a problem throwing anything away. Except cookbooks or food magazines. I get ideas and inspiration from those so I have tons of them around the apartment.
Saturday at noon, what is your character doing? Give details. I’m either in the kitchen, in the office, or on my way to the kitchen. Work keeps me busy, especially the weekends.
What is one strong detail that has stuck with your character since childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting? My father’s death. He was a policeman and I was with him when he died. We pulled up outside the International Grocery store and there was a robbery in progress. We were in the back of the store when we heard gunfire. Dad hid me between the freezer and a display. I saw him pull his weapon out of his holster and he left me there so I’d be safe. He ended up getting shot in the chest. But that didn’t stop him from firing two shots at the suspect. The guy who killed my father got out of the store with less than one hundred dollars. He made it three miles before he crashed the car into a stop light. He almost bled to death, but paramedics saved his life. He killed my father and two other people in the store that day and paramedics saved him.
Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where is she going? Who will she be with? What will she wear? Karaoke. I work far too long on the weekends to enjoy going out to the bar, so Nora and Spencer, Josh and I will go out on Wednesday’s for karaoke. I usually take this opportunity to break out my heel collection. I prefer jeans to dresses and a flashy little top.
What is her greatest achievement? Why? Opening the restaurant. It was something I worked really hard for, something I didn’t think was ever possible. And it’s really successful so I’m very proud.
What is her idea of perfect happiness? Perfect happiness would be a successful career doing what you love, having time to spend with someone you love, and enjoying the perks of being successful.
What is her current state of mind? Totally career focused right now.
What is her favorite occupation? Chef/Restaurateur.
What is your most treasured possession? A baseball glove. It was a gift from my father, the last gift he ever bought me.
What or who is the greatest love of your life? Bruce, my cat. He’s a short haired tabby. I named him after my father’s favorite baseball player, Bruce Kison from the Pirates.
What is your favorite journey? I kinda like the one I’m on right now. My life is starting to calm down and the pieces are falling into place. I am anxious to see where I go from here.
What is your most marked characteristic? My curves. I think it’s part of my Latina heritage.
When and where were you happiest? Dad used to take me to baseball games when I was a little girl. They’re my fondest memories. Sitting in the seats, all the screams and shouts, people we didn’t know but we were all there for the same reason. And Dad always bought nachos and hotdogs and the sweetest sodas. He was always happy and I didn’t have to think about him being a police officer. He was just my dad.
What is it that you most dislike? People who are given every opportunity to succeed and turn fail every time.

What is your greatest fear? Failing.
What is your greatest extravagance? My apartment. It’s a little expensive, but the kitchen was perfect and I couldn’t pass it up.
Which living person do you despise the most? Alex Brooks. The guy almost killed my drive. He was one of those people that took and took and took, but never gave.
What is your greatest regret? Well, I wish I’d realized as a child how important it is to savor those moments with the people you love.
Which talent would you most like to have? I wish I could play an instrument, like the piano or the guitar or even the violin.
Where would you like to live? I loved New York but I prefer Pittsburgh. It’s home and always will be.
What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Watching someone you love suffer and not being able to help them.
What is the quality you most like in a man? Responsibility.
What is the quality you most like in a woman? Independence.
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? I avoid emotional attachments.
What is the trait you most deplore in others? Selfishness.
What do you most value in your friends? My friends are fun, but also know how to be serious. I don’t have to tell Spencer that we’re at work and he needs to focus.
Who is your favorite hero of fiction? Rhett Butler. He made no excuses for the way that he was or the person that he was. He didn’t let go of the things he wanted, but he showed real change and progress at the end of the story, and that’s what life is about.
Who are your heroes in real life? My mother. She stayed single after my father’s death. I don’t even ever remember her dating. She was a nurse and she worked all the hours she could to take care of me and my brother and my sister. She never let Dad’s death destroy her. She’s always been the strongest person I know.
Which living person do you most admire? My mother. For the reasons above.
What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Forgiveness. I don’t know that forgiveness does much for the person doing the forgiving. It seems like a way for the wrong-doer to come to some sort of peace about whatever they’ve done. Forgiveness doesn’t set you free, it sets you back.
On what occasions do you lie? I try not to. I can’t think of anything that jumps right out at me.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse? That’s the way the cookie bakes. I also use “chick” a lot. “Divine” is one of my favorite words.
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? Sometimes I wish I had a wild streak, like my sister. It would be so much fun to cut loose and forget about work, bills, money, and just be someone else for a day.
What are your favorite names? Haven’t really thought about it.
How would you like to die? In my sleep, when I’m ancient.
If you were to die and come back as a person or thing what would you like it to be and why? Rachel Ray … She’s living the dream life.
What is your motto? What do you want out of life? “Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” I don’t want to lose my drive. I want to keep going and keep getting better.
What do you want during the course of this story? I don’t know. Sometimes I feel like something is missing. Usually I feel like I have everything I could want, but there are those few times when I think how nice it would be to get out of my own head for a while.

If you had to choose one event in your life that most shaped who you are what would it be? Definitely would be my father’s death. It opened up a lot of things that otherwise wouldn’t have happened. When he died I kinda became a mom to my brother and sister. I learned to cook because Mom was working double shifts at the hospital.
Who is your mother? (name, occupation, birthday, personality) Maria Sanchez Sloane, February 14th, 1959, Small and petite, but very strong and courageous. She’s quiet, but definitely the kind of person you don’t want to cross.
Who is your father? ( name, occupation, birthday, personality) Charles William Sloane, August 17th, 1956, He was tall, very handsome. He was funny and kind, very brave, always giving people the benefit of the doubt.
Do you have any siblings? What is your relationship with them like? I am close with both my brother and sister. Avery is in the military so we usually communicate through written letters. He’s quiet and smart, brave like our dad. Harper is a little annoying at times, but I’m more like her mother than her sister. We’re close, but our relationship is complicated.
Describe the place and people you live with or near. My apartment is on Carson Street, in the artsy district of Pittsburgh. There are exposed brick walls, big windows, hardwood floors and exposed beams and pipes. It’s colorful with lots of warm colors like red and orange and yellow. The living room has lots of shelves for books and pictures of my family. The kitchen is extensive and contemporary. The bedroom has a big bed and cool colors for soothing and relaxation. The bathrooms are simple but elegant, definitely for relaxing in a long, hot bath.
What is your occupation? Do you enjoy it? Chef/Restaurateur. Love it.
Write a full physical description of yourself. Height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, scars, flaws, best features, distinguishing marks? 5’8, 145 lbs., Latina American, brown eyes, dark brown hair. I love jeans and girly blouses. I’m more flirty than girly in my dress.
Is this physical assessment accurate? Yes.
To which social class do you belong? The working class. Middle class.
Any allergies, diseases or other physical weaknesses? Nope.
Right or left handed? Left hand.
What does your voice sound like? Soft, kinda husky, a bedroom voice.
What do you have in your pockets right now? A grocery list for the restaurant and one for the apartment, my keys, and a pen.
Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits or other defining characteristics? I bite my bottom lip when I’m nervous or thinking. Sometimes I talk to myself in Spanish, especially if I’m cooking and things are too hectic.
What is your earliest memory? My earliest memory is of Dad taking me to the hospital to see Mom after Avery was born. I was only three, but I remember the day really vividly. My parents were so happy and they had this chubby little baby in their arms, and I wanted to be jealous that they were so doting toward him, but I just thought it was amazing that this little baby belonged to our family.
How much schooling have you had? Did you enjoy school? I spent four years at a culinary school in New York, but also got a lot of on the job training in various restaurants along the way. I loved culinary school and excelled there, but I wasn’t a great high school student.
Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities? Culinary school and various restaurants, as well as in my kitchen at home.
While growing up did you have any role models? Who and why? My father for his bravery, my mother for her strength.
While growing up how did you get along with your family? Yes.
As a child what did you want to be when you grew up? When I was a child I wanted to be a ballerina or an astronaut, or a doctor.
As a child what were your favorite activities? I loved playing Hide and Seek, coloring, and playing sports.
As a child what kinds of personality traits did you display? I think I was always really strong and level-headed. I was the leader.
As a child were you popular? Not really. I had some close friends, but once I was off the bus, I had to take care of Tucker and Harper. So I didn’t get to play much with the neighborhood children.
Who were your friends and what were they like? Brittany Campbell was my best friend in elementary school. She was a bookworm, very quiet, but she didn’t take to bullying at all. Spencer Steele was always my best friend. We went to school together and even moved to New York together. His modeling career didn’t go so well so he followed me back to Pittsburgh. I think people are given friends who were soul mates in past lives. Spencer is definitely mine.
When and with whom was your first kiss? Spencer. We were barely ten years old, and he said he didn’t like girls. So we kissed to see if that would change things. And it didn’t.
When and with whom did you lose your virginity? Seventeen … Bobby Reese; my high school crush.
What do you consider the most important event of your life so far? Opening the restaurant.
What is the most evil thing you’ve ever done? Left Alex with months of unpaid bills before leaving him without a word. He deserved it. He didn’t work. I did and went to school. He was a mooch who needed a lesson taught to him.
Do you have a criminal record of any kind? No.
What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you? Coming up topless in the pool at a party.
If you could change one thing from your past what would it be and why? The only thing I would want to change is my father’s death. Other than that, I think I’ve been really lucky that my life has been on track.
Optimistic or pessimistic? I am optimistic.
Religious views? More spiritual than religious. I believe in reincarnation and karma.
Political views? Independent.
Sexual views? Whatever bakes your cookie.
Are you able to kill and under what circumstances? I’d like to think I could if my life were in danger, but I think that’s one of those things you never know until you’re in that situation.
In your opinion, what is the most evil thing a person could do? Lead someone on, pretend to be someone you’re not, or not ready to be.
Do you believe in the existence of soul mates or true love? Yeah, to some extent.
What do you believe makes a life successful? Being the best person you can be and knowing that it’s a journey.
How honest are you when it comes to your true thoughts and feelings with yourself and others? I try to be as honest as possible, but sometimes it’s difficult to know what your true thoughts and feelings are.
Do you have any biases or prejudices? Stricter punishments for criminals. I don’t think bad people should be given chance after chance to do bad things.
Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why? I’m sure there are things, but nothing springs to mind right away.
Who or what would you die for? My family.
How do you treat people in general? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them? I am generally accepting of people. I like to be friendly and have fun when it’s time to have fun. I don’t allow people to hurt me more than once. I suppose some could say that I’m a little too hardcore and that I can carry a grudge, but I just see it as protecting myself.
Who is most important in your life and why? Bruce, my cat. Josh, my boyfriend. My family. Spencer and Nora. They are who I see every day, they are who I love.
Do you have a spouse or significant other? Describe them. Josh Logan. He’s tall, finger-length dark hair, a bit of a scruffy beard. He’s a very athletic and a workaholic. He’s an architect. Honest and trusting. Brown eyes. A nice smile. Sensitive guy. Smart, sometimes oblivious.
What do you look for in a potential lover? Someone who’s honest and doesn’t need a lot of time or attention to feel like he’s in a relationship. I need someone who isn’t afraid of a strong woman, and someone who understands me and accepts me for who I am.
Have you started your own family? Do you want to? Why or why not? No, and I don’t see myself as a mother. Maybe later, but not now. I just spent too much of my childhood being a mother for my siblings. I’m not ready to go there again.
Are all your children with the same partner? What is the custody agreement if not? N/A
How do you relate to children? I understand children, but I choose to avoid situations where I need to relate to them.
Which child is favorite and why? N/A
What is your favorite memory of child or children? Least favorite? N/A
Relationship to children important? N/A
Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help? I have a few people. Mom would be a last resort. I wouldn’t want her to worry. I’d go to Josh or Nora before my mother, and to Spencer before them.
Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who and why? My friends, my family.
If you died or went missing who would miss you? Spencer and Nora would be the first to notice because of work. Harper would be next because the girl always needs me to clean up her messes so I’m sure I’d miss some catastrophe she’d need me for and then realize I was missing. Then it would be Mom. I see her often so she’d be worried if it took more than a few days to hear from me. But she knows I’m strong so I think it would take her a while to come to the conclusion that I’m not okay. Then Josh would probably be last. He works so much that it’s not unheard of for us to go a few days without speaking or seeing each other.
Do you tend to argue with people or avoid conflict? I avoid conflict if I can, but I’m not afraid of it.
Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations? Yes.
Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not? Yeah, it doesn’t make me uncomfortable. I have a lot of confidence in myself and my abilities.
Do you care what others think of you? To some degree, but not enough to worry about.
What are your favorite hobbies and pastimes? I love catching baseball games. I like playing sports, karaoke, catching any kind of sport game actually. I love to cook even when I’ve cooked all day at work and I come home. I love to travel and wish I had more time to do so.
What is your favorite color? Least favorite color? Emerald green is my favorite. My least favorite would be pink.
Favorite food? Something spicy like fajitas, fresh from the grill.
What do you like to read? Cook books, new recipes I’ve found on the internet, food magazines, and the occasional romance novel.
What is your idea of good entertainment? A good movie, a quiet night of dancing, great food, time with friends or family. I like being outdoors.
Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit? No.
What if anything shocks or offends you? The usual. I’m not easily offended or shocked.
What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself? Create a new recipe.
How do you deal with stress? Cooking. Trying to come up with new dishes or perfecting old ones.
Are you spontaneous or do you always have a plan? I always have a plan for work. At home, I just kinda leave things to what may come.
What are your pet peeves? I don’t like when people ask if you know what they mean. It drives me insane. And people who smoke in obviously smoke free places including businesses and homes.
Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel if this routine is interrupted? I get in some kind of morning exercise, shower, head into work and check to see if there is anything I need to get from the store, get into the kitchen, start working, go home and make a quick meal then watch a movie or catch up on emails. I also go to Mom’s a few times a week with frozen meals for her and Harper.
What is your greatest strength as a person? Weakness? My greatest strength is my strength. I know I can make it through anything. My weakness is sometimes I’m a little too emotionally distant.
Introverted or extroverted? Extrovert, but a healthy dose of the introvert as well.
Organized or messy? Mostly organized, especially in the kitchen.
Name three things you find yourself to be good at and three things you’re terrible at. 1. I can take care of myself and the people around me. 2. I’m responsible to a fault. 3. I’m an excellent cook, very creative and modern with a homemade flair. Terrible … 1. Sometimes hard for me to admit my feelings, especially if it’s an overly emotional thing. 2. I can’t parallel park at all. 3. Laundry totally gets the best of me.
Do you like yourself? Yes.
What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime? I’d like to have another restaurant or two, maybe even outside of Pittsburgh. I want my restaurant to be successful.
Where do you see yourself in five years? Maybe married, no kids. Working on a second restaurant and actually scheduling time for a vacation.
If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you’d want to do. 1. Be with my family, tell them all how much I love them. 2. Make love to my boyfriend. 3. Get my finances in order.
What is the one thing you’d most like to be remembered for after your death? That I was always the best person I could be and that I tried to learn from all of my mistakes, no matter how big or small they were.
What three words best describe your personality? Friendly, Funny, Creative
What three words would others use to describe you? Hardworking, fun, dependable
What advice would you give your character? Every day is a learning experience. Taking your heart out of the equation only makes the lesson you need to learn longer.
What do you like to eat for breakfast? Grapefruit, oatmeal, omelet, or toast
Night owl or early riser? Both
How old are you? 26
Favorite music? Artist? Album? Band? Instrument? I like indie music, especially from movies or shows that I like. I like music with lyrics that actually mean something. I like Gavin Degraw, Mat Kearney, Carolina Liar. Instrument: acoustic guitar.
Favorite book? Author? I don’t really read much outside of cookbooks so I can’t really say.
Expletives? Don’t really use anything too graphic. The occasional damn or hell, but that’s it.
Mode of transportation? A Ford Explorer, 2007, Green, Eddie Bauer Edition
Cautious or daredevil? Same when you’re alone? I’m cautious, same when I’m alone.
How do you spend a rainy day? Cooking, or browsing cook books, or visiting my mother and sister.
Close to your co-workers? I work with my two best friends. The other employees respect me because I treat them well. Happy employees are loyal, hardworking employees.
What is the one even that would most throw the character’s life into turmoil? Why? Pregnancy. The restaurant is popular and well liked. The last thing I need is a child or pregnancy taking me away from that momentum.
Soft spot? Is it obvious to others or not? I have a soft spot for people who try to do better for themselves, but hit speed bumps along the way. It’s not obvious, but if it were, then people would stop trying so hard.
Which of the seven deadly sins does she give into willingly or unwillingly? Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride? Probably pride.
Which of the seven virtues does she have or fight against? Chastity, abstinence, liberality, diligence, patience, kindness, humility? Diligence is mine.
Talents? Cooking, and singing one heck of a rendition of Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own.
Has she ever cheated on significant other? No.
Favorite clothing? Why? Least favorite? Why? Jeans and a nice blouse. It’s feminine and flirty, but still casual. That’s me. Least favorite would be turtle necks.
Jewelry or other accessories? I like earrings and necklaces, not big on bracelets or rings.
Does she shop frugally? Yes, on some things. Never on food.
What does she do too much of? Too little of? I work too much. I don’t enjoy time off nearly enough.
Is she depressed most days? Ever considered suicide? Not usually depressed and never considered suicide.
Wear skinny jeans? Yeah, if they fit right. I’m a curvy chick so it’s not always possible to wear skinny jeans.
Favorite actor or actress? Denzel Washington, Sandra Bullock
Favorite alcoholic drink? Chardonnay
Favorite non-alcoholic drink? Water
Favorite song? I don’t know. I like a lot of music and my favorite songs change all the time.
Does she write poems or stories or songs? Not usually. I write recipes. That’s about it.
Favorite flower? Gardenias
Afraid of thunderstorms? No. Love them.
Favorite animal? Cats. They’re independent.
How often do you take a shower? Every day.
What is your favorite kind of chocolate? Dark chocolate, rich and luxurious
Favorite candy? Chico-stick
Do you floss? Yes. Every day.
What side do you sleep on? Middle of the bed.
What’s your favorite restaurant? Mine.
Favorite holiday? Christmas.
Ever kissed in the rain? Movie theater? Underwater? Yes, yes, no.
Are you a tease? No, especially not intentionally.
Do you flirt a lot? Yes, sometimes.
Longest relationship? Josh …. Three years
Shortest relationship? Alex …. One and a half years
Have you ever gotten a poem? No.
Ever get flowers? Yes.
Do you drink coffee? Sometimes, not often.
Would you ever hook up with someone of the same sex? No.
Have you ever kissed two people in one day? At the same time? No. No.
Ever cried over someone of the opposite sex? No.
Ever been dumped? Ever dumped someone? Yes and yes.
Ever been rejected? Yes.
Do you have a lot of exes? No.
Are you a slut or ever been called one? No, and yes.
Shoe size? 9
Favorite number? 71
Do you sleep in your bra? Yes. My girls are far too big to be running around free at night.
Do you enjoy drama? Nope, not at all.
Are you a girly girl? Nope.
Small or big handbag? I usually don’t have a handbag. I carry a wallet.
Do you think you’re conceited? Nope.
Do you dress up on Halloween? Sometimes, for a party.
Double jointed? No.
Where is the weirdest place you’ve slept? I try to never be in a situation where I have to sleep in a weird place.
Has anyone touched or smacked your butt? Yes.
Do you call anybody by their last name? My brother Tucker.
Wear makeup? Yes.
Ever cried at a movie theater? Yes.
Can you put on mascara without opening your mouth? Yes.
Hoops or dangling earrings? Both.
Ever slapped someone in their face? No.
Cried yourself to sleep? Yes.
Ever wish you were famous? Maybe a time or two.
Funny or serious? Both.
Favorite season? Spring.
Would you move to another state or country to be with the one you love? Maybe.
Do you believe everything happens for a reason? Yes.
Which one of your friends do you think would make the best doctor? Nora.
Are you afraid of falling in love? Why? Eh, I’m not afraid of love. I’m afraid of what comes after.
Ever been in a bar fight? Yes.
Last person to lay in your bed? Josh.
What was the last TV show you watched? Something on Food Network

4 comments:

Misha Gerrick

I love doing character interviews. But mine is usually more free-flowing.

I pretedn to sit down and have more of a conversation with them.

Where they turn the topics to can be just as enlightening. Or what they refuse to discuss.

:-)

Unknown

Wow, this is super-cool! And thanks for the shout-out!

I do something similar; I answer questions about my MC, but in third person. "She likes this. She'd react this way. She'd X Y Z." But it's the same philosophy. And it totally works really well, too. :)

Ava Z.

Misha --- I do a free-flowing interview with my secondary characters. I actually love the process of creating the characters and seeing where it goes from there. And you make a good point, what they refuse to discuss is just as important as what they choose to disclose.

Shayda --- I have found a wealth of information on your blog so I'm happy to share the link. My stories are almost always in first person POV so I find it helpful to write the interview process in first person as well. I blame VC Andrews for my love of first person POV. 8)

Unknown

You know what's super-weird? I usually write in first person, as well. But for some reason, I HAVE to do the character interview in third.

I guess I'm just weird all around. :)

Post a Comment