CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Merpire or Vampaid

So I was just working on Once Upon an Ocean Nightmare, which is the second installment of Zarya, Arion, and Ronan. Well, I was writing a scene that takes place during the day on the surface of the water and I realized, I think my merpeople have mingled with vampires over the course of their evolution.

Why did I so suddenly come to this conclusion? Well, I offer for your consideration, what I'm listing as evidence.

Evidence A

Merpeople need the moon to draw energy. The moonlight energizes them and strengthens their magic. Now, they do not need to bask under the moon every night, unless they are a.) a newborn, b.) just given birth within the last thirty days, and last but not least, c.) waiting for their love to return from a long journey.

Evidence B

Merpeople cannot handle the sunlight. Infant merchildren cannot withstand the sun at all. It drains the energy they gathered during basking so they must be under the surface of the water before the sunrise. Young mermaids cannot see a sunrise until they are married. Their male counterparts can be unaffected by the sunrise before marriage, but it also drains energy and magic from their bodies at a quicker rate than if they had just gone back into the ocean at sunrise. Sunlight is also not good for mermaids who have given birth within the last 30 days. Their bodies are weak and susceptible to massive energy and magic drain from the sun.

Evidence C

Ronan isn't a merperson. He's a selkie, which is a seal who can change into human form. Anyways, selkie blood is what gives the rogue merpeople their excessive energy and ability to heal so quickly. When Zarya is weakened from travel and childbirth and impending war, Ronan offers enough of his blood to her to help heal her and replenish her energy.

So, I wrote the first edition, Once Upon an Ocean Lullaby, last year at NaNoWriMo and I never noticed until now that a lot of my merpeople characteristics are very vampire.

I guess the question now is should they be "merpires" or "vampaids"? LOL

0 comments:

Post a Comment