CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hectic Morning

So I had this wonderful idea to recreate this dish I had at The Cheesecake Factory with my friends a few weeks back. It is Chicken Bellagio, or something Italian like that. It was a couple pieces of breaded chicken on top of basil pesto pasta, topped with prosciutto, and arugula. Well, we have the chicken, pesto, pasta and I figured I could make a quick trip to the local Kroger for the basil, arugula, Panko crumbs, and prosciutto.

Take Christian to school, head on over to Kroger and head straight for the produce section. They have arugula, nice and pre-packaged for your convenience, but much like a department store that keeps certain items locked on the shelves and rods, the arugula I desperately needed was locked on the rod. None of the other herbs were. Basil was free to roam around, sage was free to slide off the rod and into a cart at any given moment, but arugula was a prisoner. So I fidgeted with it for a minute because I wanted to make sure I wasn't having some early morning, still tired, hallucination. But I wasn't. And as embarrassing as it felt to ask a clerk to unlock the arugula, I asked the produce guy. His response was, "I've never seen this before. Maybe we aren't supposed to sell it."

Well, I would have thrown a fit and told him that the arugula was on display with a price tag shown so obviously they were supposed to sell it and if they'd stocked it on the rod then obviously there was a way OFF the rod, but I was too embarrassed to make a fuss. Instead, I go looking for my other ingredients. Apparently, our neighborhood Kroger is a little less than well stocked when it comes to anything other than chips, soda, and frozen ready to heat foods. No Panko crumbs and no bread crumbs at all. I checked the bread aisle, where the stuffing crumbs were and although well stocked on stuffing, no Panko. So I checked the ethnic foods aisle and no bread crumbs or Panko. I checked the baking aisle, none there either. I thought I might at least get the prosciutto, but nope, none of that either.

I left Kroger with a measly pack of basil, but figured Marsh was just down the street so I'd try there.

Well, as I pulled into the choppy, cracked, disarrayed parking lot with faded paint lines, I remembered why it is I never shop at Marsh. I went inside to the produce aisle and guess what, no arugula, Panko crumbs, or prosciutto. So I decide, rather angrily, to head to Wal-Mart. After all, it's a much bigger store so they have to have these things, right??

Get to Wal-Mart, peruse the produce aisle and guess what ... apparently Kroger was right to bolt down their arugula supply because Wal-Mart had none to offer either. I had no idea fresh arugula was such a hot commodity. (Should I be talking to a stockbroker about this and transfering my 401k?) Anyways, I just settled for the basil and headed to the deli. They had prosciutto and Panko crumbs. So I bought it, and thanked my lucky stars I only had to waste $974,286 in gas getting the ingredients for a cheap knock off dinner.

I'll come back after dinner with pics and turn this into randomrecipeswithpicsblog.



These are the ingredients for dinner tonight, minus the flour, eggs, and seasoning.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts ... $4.31
Pesto sauce mix ... $0.58
Basil ... $1.89
Panko Crumbs ... $1.58
Pasta (estimation per serving) ... $0.90
Prosciutto ... $3.98
________________________________________________
Estimated Total Cost ... $13.24
Estimated Total Cost per serving ... $4.42 (3 servings, one for each piece of chicken)

0 comments:

Post a Comment