CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Words of Art (The Reader)

This week's photo is one I took of a painting I bought a long time ago. I found it at a yard sale and I don't know who the artist is. There are no identifying signatures on the front or back of the painting. I don't know why I bought it. It went with nothing in our home, and still doesn't, but I had to have it and now that I have it, I can't let it go either.



The object of this prompt is to write an original piece (short story, poem, journal entry, etc.) inspired by the picture posted. I'd love to read anything that you all come up with and comments are always welcome.
__________________________________________________________


Today, I'm just going to write my thoughts about this painting because everything I try to sit down and write seems too stiff and rehearsed. I bought this painting at a yard sale for three dollars. I wasn't in the market for a painting and I still don't know why it had to be this one. I imagine her name was Elizabeth and I get the sense she's not reading at all. I imagine that she is hiding her true feelings as best she can. Perhaps someone is watching her and she doesn't want that person to know the thoughts swirling around in her head. I imagine she's innocent, but strong and determined, although most everyone around her seems to think she's meek and fragile. When I look at this painting, it makes me thoughtful, curious about her, about what book she's holding. I think she looks very unhappy and it makes me sad for her.

5 comments:

Angela Cothran

I love this painting too. If I had a copy I would put it on my wall. It is called "A Young Girl Reading" and it's by Jean-Honore-Fragonard.

I wrote a post a while back and used this picture. Does that count? I hope so :)
http://livetowrite1.blogspot.com/2011/05/reading-to-write.html

Ava Z.

Wow! Thanks, Angie. I've always wondered who the artist was and what the inspiration was. I am going to shift into Detective Mode on Google and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for sharing your link. I left you a comment!

Ava Z.

Ooh, I just saw that Andrew Mellon's daughter donated the original painting to the National Gallery of Art. Mellon, was of course, born in Pittsburgh, PA ... the city in which I feel to my very soul I was meant to live.

Jayne

How fantastic that Angie solved the mystery for you! I like your thoughts about the painting.

Angelica R. Jackson

That's what I love about art (visual and prose): how it's open to each person's interpretation. Images like this give you room to make up your own backstory.

The painting obviously struck some chord in you, to make you buy it even though it didn't automatically fit into your home.

Post a Comment