CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Titles

How do you come up with titles for your work? Is it something you start off with or something you come up with toward the end? How do you know when a title fits the work you've written?

For me, I never felt like I put much thought into the title. With some of my work, I really thought about it and considered it. Those were the works which the title was an actual line used in the story. I love stuff like that. Others, were just temporary titles I never really worked on and I don't really like but nothing has seemed to stick.

So what's your protocol for thinking up a clever, catchy title?

3 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson

I often take the titles from a particular turn of phrase in the work. You have to be careful because it's easy to overdo it, but I think it can be effective when it's done well. I also like to "borrow" quotes for titles; Spirits from the Vasty Deep is from a Shakespeare quote that also happens to tie into my themes in that book.

B.E. Sanderson

Sometimes an awesome title just comes to me. Other times, it takes a while - and several totally wrong names - for anything good to stick.

Ava Z.

Thanks, B.E.. It seems as though we pretty much so have the same approach.

Angelica, I never thought of using a quote, but that's a fabulous idea! I just might have to try that. In one of my works, I used song titles from a particular band to name each chapter. Then I used an album name from that same band to name the book. I thought it fit well for that one particular story. I am going to look into some quotes though. I love quotes!

Post a Comment