CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 26, 2011

NaNoWriMo Plans?

Well, it's that time of the year again where writers scramble for 50,000 words worth of plot, characters, setting and another pot of coffee. Fifty thousand words in thirty days. When you first start NaNoWriMo, how impossible does the task feel?

Last year, I didn't start until about the second week in November so this year I'm doing a little more planning and plotting than before. I know my characters inside and out because they're the same NaNoWriMo characters I've written for the past two years. I'm fairly certain my water dwelling creatures will sprout legs and live amongst us land-faring creatures this year.

I sat down and started brainstorming chapters and how long each chapter should be. I started some research, although I admit I don't put as much research into NaNo as I do my other work.

Anyway, the point of this post is to find out how you prepare for NaNo? Do you have everything planned out way in advance? Do you fly by the seat of your pants? Is your NaNo project something you'd be proud for people to read or is it something you file away and forget about until next NaNo? Is it a catalyst for a project you plan to work on even after NaNo ends?

3 comments:

B.E. Sanderson

Usually when I'm going to do NaNo, I have at least a vague idea of what I'm shooting for. Sometimes I break the rules and work on a book I already started - but never finished. Last year's book was one I'd started, but I needed to rewrite the beginning anyway so I wiped it all out on Oct 31 and started over.

Right now, I'm working on editing last year's NaNo novel and re-writing the novel from 2009's NaNo. This year's NaNo?? If my brain hasn't exploded by November 1st, I'll see what I can come up with.

WritingNut

I utterly failed at NaNo one year, and last year I sort of followed my own thirty days, so it didn't exactly count. I've never actually prepared beforehand though, but it's definitely a good idea.

Anonymous

This is my first time doing NaNoWriMo. I'm really excited about it!

My project is going to (hopefully) turn into an epic novel featuring characters that I have had in my mind for many years and have written about before.

My 9-year-old son will also be participating in the kids version. We homeschool and I was able to get a really cool kit from the NaNoWriMo folks which includes a poster where you can track progress and a button my son can proudly display on his jacket! It's different for kids under 13...you pick how many words they will write in the month of November rather than the standard 50,000. Though with my son, he probably could pull off the 50,000 words in 30 days! He's amazing!

Post a Comment