CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Show Me Yours Blogfest

Just stumbled onto this blogfest. Check it out HERE. And stop by HERE to show fellow blogfester, Misha, some love.

So if I'm understanding this blogfest correctly, we simply post 500 words of our NaNoWriMo work. Simple enough.

Some background information:

Zarya is a mermaid and Queen of the Oceans
Arion is a merman and King of the Oceans
Ronan is a selkie (a seal with the power to shed his skin and become human and totally seductive)
Abellona is a rogue mermaid with a desire for revenge on Zarya and the gods

This is a fantasy genre short story ... or so I am guessing as it is far beyond my normal genre of writing.

***************************************
Once Upon an Ocean Nightmare (Chapter 17)


“Kiss me,” I said breathlessly. I wanted so much more than just a mere kiss, but I would settle for just a kiss. His fingertips played against my back, traveling down my spine to the place where my hips were still sheathed in scales. His mouth covered mine, pressing against my lips, and I could taste the salt that barely flavored his skin. It was beautiful, and I felt my body draw into him, my hands against his chest as he pulled me tighter against him. He took a few half steps backwards and I felt my toes graze over that warm selkie skin.

“Aye, my queen, I should resist,” he murmured, but there was no hesitation in his touch. I ran my fingertips over his chest. I was hungry for him.

“Not this time. You should kiss me, touch me, need me,” I whispered back. I felt him stumble on the rocks and he slid down until he was seated on the floor. I crawled over him, kissing at his bare flesh, letting my tongue trail over the curve of his jaw.

“Are you sure you are not a selkie? You have fully and completely seduced me, my queen, my love,” he said. I could almost see his eyes and the selkie skin was still so close to my toes. It was so warm, so inviting.

I sat up, gently putting weight on the hand that hovered over his chest so he would not sit up.

“I love you so much. That’s why I must do this. I must protect you because you will risk too much to protect me,” I whispered, feeling the tears start to pour again. They lit my cheeks, probably enough for Ronan to see my eyes for an instant. I pulled back, grabbed his selkie skin, and pressed against the wall, focusing all my magic on melting outwards. I could hear him shouting, scrambling to grab me, but he was too late.

My heart was pounding, blood rushing through my body as my fin returned. The selkie skin was still so warm. I waited, hovering there in front of the rock as if I expected one of the other selkies to find me and attack, for fear I’d just done the same to Ronan, but Arion and the selkies were busy making sure the waters were safe for travel. I called for more magic, put my hands on the rock as the selkie skin slid over my shoulder, and watched as the cavern Ronan was locked in moved effortlessly, another league lower in the ocean. When it was still again, I marked it with an almost invisible magic. It would help me find him when this was over. When we reached Atlantis, I would tell the selkies how to find him, just in case I didn’t make it out of battle alive.

“I am sorry, my love. I must protect you,” I whispered, pressing the selkie skin against the rock. Magic flowed from my fingertips and watched as rock surrounded the selkie skin.

8 comments:

Rebecca T.

Intriguing! Does Ronan find a way out? What's the battle that's about to happen? I'd like to know more! Thanks for joining in!

Sarah Ahiers

awww! I wrote a short story once with a selkie in it and i was so sad when no one in my fiction writing class knew what a selkie was. So i'm glad whenever anyone else metnions them because then i know i'm not crazy. You get extra points for actually having a selkie character. Win!
Thanks for participating!

Lisa-Marie Jordan

Wow, sexy and intriguing! Interesting way of protecting someone: locking them in an underwater cavern. I certainly hope she survives the battle and can be reunited with her love! Thanks for posting!

Ava Z.

Thanks for stopping by ladies. I just realized that the 3rd was yesterday. That will teach me to read blogs at 3:30am

Denise Covey

I love it when I read something different and you had me hanging onto every word. This was certainly sexy scene with a layer of mystery. Glad you got your entry in finally!

Hannah

oooh, selkies! So underestimated. great job! thank u for participating!

Golden Eagle

Intriguing--selkies aren't that common, so this was a great new view! Thanks for sharing the excerpt!

Anonymous

An interesting excerpt - romance, ocean-folk style! I don't really follow how or why she locked him in, though.

Thanks for sharing this excerpt in the blogfest and good luck with all your writing and publishing stuff!

Post a Comment